To All The Drugs Companies

George Heavner gheavner at voicenet.com
Wed Apr 15 19:36:08 EST 1998

Thalidomide is indeed being evaluated as a TNF antagonist.  Although many
people may not be aware of it, Thalidomide has been available in the US for
years to treat leprosy.  I don't think anyone would recommend it's
indiscriminate use as a sedative or to pregnant women where it's teratogenic
effects can be catastrophic.  Most likely this chain of postings started when
ATeasd5941 "caught a few seconds on Radio-4" and, without knowing the complete
story, reacted.  While ATeasd5941 wants other drug companies to "be the wise
men", I would suggest the axion, "Make sure brain is engaged before putting
mouth in gear."

George A. Heavner