To All The Drugs Companies

Piersante Sestini sestini at unisi.it
Fri Apr 17 07:31:31 EST 1998

At 00.36 16/04/98 GMT, you wrote:
>Thalidomide is indeed being evaluated as a TNF antagonist.  Although many
>people may not be aware of it, Thalidomide has been available in the US for
>years to treat leprosy.  I don't think anyone would recommend it's
>indiscriminate use as a sedative or to pregnant women where it's
teratogenic effects can be catastrophic.  Most likely this chain of postings
started

Despite obvious precautions, there have been several cases of
thalidomide-induced embryopathy in patients treated for leprosy in South
America. Some additional and specific measures of caution before allowing
prescription of thalidomide seem advisable.

see:
Castilla EE, et al. [See Related Articles]
Thalidomide, a current teratogen in South America.
Teratology. 1996 Dec; 54(6): 273-277.
PMID: 9098920; UI: 97253479.
Piersante Sestini MD
Institute of Respiratory Diseases