Does freezing reduce the potential of T cell to respond?

Guy Hermans ghermans at luc.ac.be
Thu Aug 27 01:49:57 EST 1998

In article <6s1euq$5tn$1 at fddinewz.oit.unc.edu>, "Jeff Frelinger"
<jfrelin at med.unc.edu> wrote:

> They work fine but not as well as fresh.  We freeze them in 90% FCS 10%
> DMSO, in a -70 freezer in a freeaing box for sort of controlled rate
> freezing
>
> >Hello,
> >Could anyone out there help me decide if I could use a properly frozen
> >stock of PBMCs for development of TCL or TCC later?

My thoughts exactly. Frozen PBMC are perfect antigen presenting cells, so
its handy to keep a stock in liquid nitrogen. But for setting up, say, a
limiting dilution experiment, I'd never use 'old' material. Whenever
possible we try to motivate the donors to come back regularly or send in
fresh blood samples when needed.

Guy

Niels Hellings, PhD student
MS research Unit             Tel 0032 (0) 11/26.92.07
Dr. L. Willems-Institute     Fax 0032 (0) 11/26.92.09
University Campus            E-mail hellings at luc.ac.be
B-3590 Diepenbeek
Belgium