antibody production-ascites vs culture

Kiley R. Prilliman Kiley-Prilliman at ouhsc.edu
Thu Feb 5 22:38:55 EST 1998

Hi,

I honestly don't understand why there would be a switch from hollow-fiber technology
to ascites fro MAb production; in working with and comparing the two, I personally
have always been a big fan of the hollow-fiber approach: you can get TONS of MAb if
you desire (for example, last March through May I was able to produce 2 *grams* of
an antibody I needed a LOT of for large-scale immunoaffinity purification purposes),
and the MAb-containing harvests you obtain from hollow-fiber cell culture systems is
really "clean" to deal with...

Just my two cents (and no, I'm not affiliated with a hollow-fiber bioreactor systems
company, I'm just a grad student!)...

Kiley R. Prilliman
Department of Microbiology & Immunology

phone: 405-271-1203