The Good and Bad of Childhood Illnesses

Meryl Dorey van at mypostbox.com
Sun Mar 15 09:54:45 EST 1998

I have to reply to this one.  Whether you think that vaccines are good, bad
or indifferent, you have to admit that there is no such thing as a
'vaccine-preventable' disease.  No vaccine gives life-long immunity and
anyone who is vaccinated will, at some point in the future, again be
susceptible to illness.

I also had these childhood diseases as a child though I don't really
remember being miserable with them.  Rather, I remember being very pampered,
read to and loved through them.

My children have had measles (in spite of one of them being vaccinated
against it) and whooping cough (ditto).  They came through them very well
and with much love and care from my husband and myself.

In developed countries, these illnesses are much less of a danger than they
are in the third world.

Regarding your cousin who was born with congenital rubella syndrome, the
chances are that rubella vaccination would not have changed this.  I was
vaccinated against rubella as a child and again in high school.  I got
rubella when I was 30 - 3 months before falling pregnant with my first
child.

This vaccine is very ineffective and has a long list of adverse reactions
which it can cause - some of them quite serious and chronic such as
arthritis.

You may think that those who questions vaccination are stupid, but perhaps
it is time for you to do some research into the other side of this issue
before you judge our motives or our intelligence.

Take care,
Meryl Dorey
The Australian Vaccination Network, Inc.