The good and bad of childhood illnesses

Karina Guimarães Divimo Moreira de Goes kakidg at ibm.net
Fri Mar 20 13:53:35 EST 1998

Jay Mone' wrote:

> Carol,
> I am one of the intellectuals who you apparently look at with disdain.
> I think I can get over that.  However, I have a real problem with
> those who advocate stopping vaccinations against "childhood" diseases.
> Most people living in developed nations have never seen the effects of
> these diseases first hand.  Have you or any of your friends seen first
> hand a child with paralytic polio?  Maybe you have, but I would guess
> probably you haven't.  How do you think a child would feel who
> survives paralytic polio, but with permanent paralysis, knowing that a
> vaccine against the disease was available, but his parents opted
> against it?
> While it is true that an intial vaccine does not provide lifelong
> immunity, it does offer considerable protection to the vaccinee.
> Then, as the vaccinee encounters the disease at a later date, the
> exposure provides a natural booster which provides several more years
> of protection. Part of the problem is that the current vaccines are so
> effective in preventing infection, that these natural booster effects
> may not occur, and immunity does wane.  But does this mean that we
> stop vaccinating?
> On the other issue you raised, do I need my child to be sick to show
> that child compassion?  I would rather spend quality time with my
> healthy children playing and teaching, and learning together, then to
> stand vigil by my sick childs bedside wondering if he will survive the
> bout of tetanus he contracted from a fall in the dirt outside (which
> you probably have also never seen, since every child is vaccinated).
> Which would you rather do?
>
> Jay Mone'

    I agree with all you wrote...I live in the" third world" and I know
how important is the vaccination to us...and I think that everyone should
think that now a days ,the words is too small...if a illness
appears(epidemic) in Brazil or in another part of the world ,it can
become  pandemic.Like last August,that we had an epidemic measles, that we
were able to control...but if we didn't???Do you have any idea how many
children go to Orlando to see Mickey???I can say that a lot children go!!!
And how many could have the illness and just discover it in US???It could
became pandemic.But it was easy to control in Brazil because many people
had taken the measles vaccine, so the population that had the illness was
smaller .. and probabily some went to US(but didn't develope the illness
because their immune system was able to destroy the virus) but like in
Brazil and probabily more,the US child(and adult too) took the measles
vaccine...so it didn't have any problem.But if they didn't propbabily the
world now could have one more big health problem...You can say to me that
measles is nothing...and I agree( I had measles last August even taken the
vaccine whwn I was younger...but it was a weak one,and I believe that it
happened because I took the vaccine ), is just stay at home,take some
medicines ,eat well...and wait the illness go away , and we can forget it
.But what about polio...and tetanus???I'm sure that who had(and are still
alive) will never forget...because still feel , now a days,the
consequences of the illness.
               I'm studing at the health area ,and I hope that with the
help of the vaccines ,we can do like we did with the smallpox, just have
this virus in labs.