Vitamin myths

Ralph L. Samson 73071.20 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Sun Mar 22 07:14:46 EST 1998

Immuno readers,
       I have come across a few articles of interest that may be correlated
and as a result be of some significance.  The first, derived from the
12/1/97 issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation, is titled:
"Vitamin C Shown to Cross the Blood Brain Barrier".  It reports on
a study from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center that found that
the oxidized Vitamin C, dehydroascorbic acid, can pass through the
blood brain barrier and then be converted back to Vitamin C.  It also
said that oral ingestion of Vitamin C would not help.  A couple of
Medline abstracts talked about copper and iron catalyzed oxidaton
of Vitamin C.  In particular, for iron, one suggested that ideally
all Fe(III) should have been converted to Fe(II), producing a supply
of dehydroascorbic acid, with enough additional Vitamin C left to
perform it's antioxidant function.  The dehydroascorbic acid would
then be available to enter the brain and supply Vitamin C to it.
       I think these provide some food for thought.
Regards, Ralph L. Samson