Vitamin myths

Ralph L. Samson 73071.20 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Mar 26 07:25:20 EST 1998

Immuno bionet readers,
        Recent studies and results relating to the action of Vitamin
C in the immune system give me great hope that soon all or many of
the benefits of Vitamin C will be established.  Before investigating
too much further, I think there needs to be a determination of the
pattern of absorption of Vitamin C and the resultant blood levels,
and the variation with time following ingestion.  My suggestion
would be to try various dosages, say 100, 250 and 500 mg, taken
once a day, twice at 12 hour intervals, three times 8 hours apart,
and four times 6 hours apart.  While the dehydroascorbic acid
level might be of some interest, it is the level of the antioxidant
form, ascorbic acid, that is of most interest.  Since a meal with
a lot of iron might make use of ascorbic acid for Fe(III) to Fe(II)
conversion, it might be necessary to measure two of the periods.
In analyzing the data, body weight should be considered since total
blood volume generally is proportional.  If any individual subject
shows a sharp drop in level with time, that data should be kept
separate and the subject checked to see if he has some disease that
the immune system is fighting.  Perhaps this will become a diagnostic
tool in the future.
        The resultant data should then become the basis for all
studies of the benefits of Vitamin C.  One obvious study would
the prevention of skin cancer.  It is certainly a much more likely
candidate than selenium.
        If this data has been generated in the past, I would
appreciate knowing where the data is available.
Regards, Ralph L. Samson