IUBio

First immuno response

Trond Erik teva at online.no
Fri May 8 11:23:02 EST 1998

Sorry if this question has been recently debated...

I've been wondering about this for a while. It seems like a version of
the classic hen and egg.

To be able to battle infections, plasma cells (active B-cells) secrets
spesific antibodies. But for a B-cell to become active, it has to be
stimulated by a helper-T-cell. And for a helper-T-cell to be active, it
needs to be stimulated by an APC. An APC is a former makrofag who has
ingested antigen/antibody-complexes, therby becoming an APC.

Let's say we have a child who hasn't been infected before. That is to
say it hasn't secreted antibodies yet. When the first infection arrives,
how can it respond? It doesn't have the necesarry secreted antibodies to
facilitate ingestion by makrofags. And that is the first step in humoral
immuno response.

I guess some of my theory above is wrong. Please correct me ;)

Regards
Trond Erik Vee Aune