"AIDS Treatment News" online * New Issue #302 (searchable/indexed)

Carlton Hogan carlton at walleye.ccbr.umn.edu
Mon Nov 9 12:16:22 EST 1998

In article <3645aeba.1785861 at netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
 <johnburgin at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 05 Nov 1998 16:58:49 GMT, gmc0 at ix.netcom.com (George M.
>Carter) wrote:
>
>>>On 4 Nov 1998 21:22:49 GMT, carlton at walleye.ccbr.umn.edu (Carlton
>>>Hogan) wrote:
>>
>>johnburgin at worldnet.att.net wrote:
>>
>>>So, two out of let me see, 5 is it?  You and George are gay, that
>>>really makes your arguments biased.
>>
>>Excuse me, but what makes you so sure Carlton is gay?
>
>he didn't deny it

That's because I would rather be mistaken for gay than for an ignorant
bigot. Most people who frantically deny their alleged homosexuality
are either conflicted, or homophobic (or probably both, as research
has shown that out-and-out homophobes are more likely to show
subconscious arousal by same-sex images than non-homophobic "straights".
You will not trick me into trashing the gay community by protesting
my heterosexuality. Anybody that developed AIDS in the 1980s is
likely to be very grateful to the gay community, as I am.

>>As for me, I certainly have a bias--one I'm sure Carlton shares.  That
>>we want to see AIDS end.
>then don't shut down the door to new thinking, regardless of how
>absurd you believe that it is.(cloning, for example)
>That we want the dying to stop.
>>
>>Your beliefs are rooted in your hate and abject selfishness, fueled by
>>your utter ignorance of the topic.

>I am not a hateful person,

Then why did you assert that George's and my sexuality were relevant
to this debate?

> but I do despise those that propose to
>dominate conversations with demeaning verbage that doesn't not
>demonstrate that their logic is correct, only that they have a lot of
>time to get the message out.  Utter ignorance would indicate that I
>know less than the general public.

Enough ducking and weaving. Clarify your beliefs as to these four
demonstrably false assertions you have made:
1. That presence of antibody necessarily means one has cleared an infection
2. That there is no such thing as an enhancing antibody
3. The survival gain seen with protease inhibitors is due only
   to lowered dosage of comcomitant nucleosides
4. HIV has not been isolated.

Stay on track. Your attempts to change the subject do neither yourself,
nor your ideas any benefit.

Have a day.

Carlton