Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) & vaccinations

Doowot doowot at aol.com
Thu Nov 12 13:51:00 EST 1998

Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) is an immunosuppressive drug used in treatment of
lupus and other autoimmune diseases. Does anyone know if cyclophosphamide
reduces or cancels immunities induced by previous vaccinations for such
diseases as pneumonia, flu, tetanus, etc.?  Has anyone tackled this possibility
experimentally?  I know of a case involving bacterial pneumonia (11/96) that
developed in a patient who had Cytoxan treatments (3/94-12/95) after pneumonia
vaccination (11/93).  I don't know that there is any connection but I'm
suspicious.
Should patients be revaccinated after Cytoxan treatments?

Thanks in advance,
     Harry Granger