K and L light chains-why?

Randy T. Fischer fischerr at vax.grc.nia.nih.gov
Fri Nov 13 16:56:04 EST 1998

Darren,

Different light chains combine with different heavy chains for an increase in
repertoire diversity. Antigens drive the selective process which involves
rearrangements similar to those found in the VH region of the heavy chains.
Additionally, it appears an additional advantage is the ability of alternate
light chain usage to rescue B cells which have an unproductive rearrangement of
a previous light chain.

Randy Fischer