Can apoptotic cells represent "danger" to the immune system?

Geoffrey M Thiele gthiele at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 2 14:53:50 EST 1999

Dear Viggo:

I read your post about apoptosis and the danger signal.  I believe that you are right in accessing a distinct
discrepancy in apoptosis and the danger model as Dr. Matzinger has presented it.  Her fairly recent publication
in Seminars in Immunology (Oct. 1998: Innate Sense of Danger) deals with apoptosis a bit more:

"...though apoptotic cells may signal a neighboring scavenger, these signals do no induce expression of co
stimulation on APCs."

Later in this paper she describes the more relevant issue when it comes to apoptotic cells in my experience.
Danger can involve cells dying bad-traditional apoptosis that normal cells undergo usually does not fall into this
category, but there is apoptosis that could be considered "bad dying".  For example, toxins can cause a mixture
of apoptosis and necrosis and be a danger signal.  Dr. Matzinger states in the paper that toxins and pathogens
can induce an immune response (and foreigness of the molecule is a moot point).  Therefore, true apoptosis
may not induce immune responses, but toxicity or pathogens.  This may explain why influenza in the articles you
mention induce an immune response-it may be the influenza that causes the danger and apoptosis is the
mechanism by which the cells are always taken up.  It may be that the danger signal tags the apoptotic cell
differently to induce the immune response.

I would be interested if you see things any differently.  Take care.

Monte S. Willis
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Experimental Immunology Laboratory
(402) 346-8800 Ext. 3735