MS

ricyoung at iupui.edu ricyoung at iupui.edu
Thu Feb 4 11:24:42 EST 1999

Hello all,
I recently posted a question about a topic that I am totally clueless on.
I looked on medline and I saw some leads to my question, but I really did
not understand them all.  I asked if anybody knows what practical
applications immunobiologists have contributed to the treatment of MS, or
something along those lines.  I read on med line that there is some IgG
preparation that has being given occasionally intavenously to MS patients
that are recalcitrant.  My question is what is this an antibody against.
Why are they applying it?  Are they trying to get an isotype switch to
protect neurons via the blood brain barrier? \
 And my real question is why
don't they deliver the antigenic peptides intravenously to
induce T and B cell anergy>?  I think that this would provide the longest
term relief of symptoms.  My prof says its because the treatment is not
guarranteed to work, but who says anything about having to be a perfect
treatment?  My guess is that their would be concern of anaphylaxis, which
could be circumvented in an inpatient situation via tracheal intubation,
epinephrine, and antihistamines.
Any comments?
andy

the reply address is incorrect, my address:
ricyoung at ruby.iupui.edu