Small peptides and antibody production?

Nanci E Donacki nanci_e_d at email.msn.com
Mon Jan 11 17:19:54 EST 1999

I have had a lot of experience using small peptides for monoclonal antibody
production.  Typically I've used these conjugated to various protein
carriers - BSA, KLH, ovalbumin, bovine thyroglybulin - using either
glutaraldehyde or EDCI for the conjugation procedure.

Any of these combinations will yield anti-peptide antibodies.  It is best to
screen on peptide conjugated to a different carrier molecule using a
different coupling agent.  This way you will pick up only the anti-peptide
response.

There are a variety of published procedures for optimum conjugations and
immunizations.

Nanci E Donacki
Research Manager