IUBio

The danger of "Danger"

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 10 22:46:00 EST 1999

In <376039FB.80F3DE83 at tc.umn.edu> "Alan J. Robinson"
<robin073 at tc.umn.edu> writes:

- - - - - -(snip) - - - - - - - -

>In fact, there is overwhelming evidence of many different sorts for
the
>primacy of brain dysregulation in the pathogenesis of HUMAN autoimmune
>disease.  Indeed, in the case of multiple sclerosis the striking
>similarities with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome have been noted by several
>observers, implying a common pathogenesis and shared
pathophysiological
>pathways.  It's just in the final pathway that the difference between
>the two diseases becomes evident.

- - - - - - - - - -(snip) - - - - - - - - -

This is bizarre reasoning!  The most obvious final common pathway is
indeed the FINAL common pathway, i.e. in symptom expression, which
certainly is NOT relevant evidence of shared pathoGENESIS.  Possibly
there are some shared mechanisms in disease development (e.g. viral
challenge, etc.), but as etiologies are currently speculative for both
disorders, there is no basis for asserting a SHARED origin.  At one
level, there may be shared mechanisms; my personal interest is in
inflammatory processes, and particularly disordered IL-1 production or
activity (including IL-1/IL-1ra imbalances), but this is speculative.

These demonstrably have an impact on brain function and behavior (e.g.
IL-1 roles in fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, etc.), but brain
dysregulation on a molar level would seem to be more effect than cause.

- - - - - - - -(snip) - - - - - - -

>Most scientists are unaware of this evidence for brain involvement,
for
>many different reasons.  Indeed, the lack of awareness in the
scientific
>community of the recent behavioral and brain science literature in
>general
>(mostly published since the mid 1980s) is manifest by the litany of
>errors and
>omissions which plague articles, editorials, and reviews in every
week's
>issues of Science and Nature!

Perhaps we'd have a better insight into your thinking if you gave us
specific examples of "errors and omissions" in (arbitrarily chosen,
because "every week" has them) the second week of March 1998 for
Science and the first week of October 1997 for Nature.  Or any weeks
convenient for you to review, if you cannot access the two I suggest.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group