Idiopathic Chronic dermatitis

Scott scott at home.com
Tue Jun 15 00:21:38 EST 1999

I have had for nearly 3 years a moderate to severe dermatitis on both
hands.  Only the palmar surface of the fingers are affected, with
occasional spreading to the palms.  Tiny blisters form that rupture
through the skin and create tiny open sores that heel slowly.  At times
my hands have become lichonified with thick, irritable skin.  The onset
of this dermatitis did not accompany any changes in my life or home.  No
detergents, soaps, clothing, furniture, etc. were changed either.
    I have been worked up by an immunologist who told me that he did not
know what the cause was treated me empirically with a steroid cream.  I
was tested for every allergen that he ( the immunologist) suspected.
Now, I am a medical student and the obvious suspect is latex.  However,
I have tested negative for a latex RAST, and the symptoms seem to be
independent of glove type, size, latex v. non latex, powdered v non
powdered, etc...  It does not seem to matter if have been wearing gloves
alot or not.

QUESTION #1    Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing
this?  Or has anyone seen someone with some kind of hypersensitivity
that is limited to only a portion of the hands?

Question#2  What are the possible side effects of long-term
corticosteroid cream (fluocinonide 0.1%) application to the hands, as it
seems I may be forced to use this for years to come?

Thank you for your help
Scott