viral activation of T-lymphocytes

Kenneth Frauwirth kfrauwir at
Sun Nov 7 18:01:50 EST 1999

In article <3825E719.1D99B0B5 at>,
Tammy Ferguson  <tjfergus at> wrote:
>I think that only bacteria produce proteins that can act as superantigens, toxic
>shock toxin from Staph. aureus for example.  At least I have never heard of any
>from viruses.

There are also viral superantigens.  Superantigens have been identified in
the murine retroviruses MMTV (mouse mammary tumor virus) and MuLV (murine
leukemia virus), and there is evidence that HIV may also produce a
superantigen.  I believe that the murine retroviral superantigens are
membrane-bound, but may have secreted forms as well.

Ken Frauwirth

Ken Frauwirth (MiSTie #33025)  kfrauwir at
Abramson Cancer Research Institute
University of Pennsylvania