Genetic memory vs natural selection

Jay and Nancy Mone jaymone at PAONLINE.COM
Fri Oct 8 20:04:31 EST 1999

Pierre,
In all of my years as a biology teacher, I have never heard of the term
genetic memory.  What in the world is it?  As long as we are on the
subject, exactly what is a non-valid evolutionary history??
>From a purely evolutionary standpoint, genetic adaptation is a shprt term
phenomenon.  Genetic variability can not anticipate future selective
pressures.  Rather, natural selection for any phenotype provides
advantages to the cell or organism only in the present environment.  If
that environment changes, any particular pre-existing adaptation may or
may not remain advantageous.

Jay Mone'