Neural antigen presentation in Multiple sclerosis

Theophilus Samuels theophilus.samuels at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 23 05:19:22 EST 2000

>From the Experimental Biology 2000 meeting;

'...Dr. Popovich and colleagues stimulated T cells with myelin proteins and
injected them into animals with spinal cord injury. The treatment
significantly improved hind limb function, according to Dr. Popovich.

"Traditionally we've always thought of a T cell responding to nervous system
proteins as being bad," he said. "It's mostly because the methodology and
the models have been developed in the context of multiple sclerosis, which
is where T cells are typically causing damage. It's the context in which the
cells become activated that may dictate whether it's a protective or
detrimental effect."

Although these monocyte- and T cell-based treatments increased hind limb
function only by 10%, the researchers noted that this is comparable to the
effects of methylprednisolone, the current standard of therapy for spinal
cord injury in humans...'

  T.L.S.

news:8ds3ec$iqu$1 at uranium.btinternet.com...