cyclosporin in olive oil?

Dallas Grasby dallas.grasby at adelaide.edu.au
Sun Dec 17 21:36:00 EST 2000

Question on the use of cyclosporin injected into rats for
immunosuppression:

I'm planning to inject rats with cyclosporin (10mg/kg) to prevent
transplant rejection.  I'm using the Sandimmun® preparation from
Novartis which is a concentrate for IV infusion (PEG-35 Castor oil /
Cremaphor EL).  Most labs seem to dilute this in olive oil with
sonication to aid mixing - do people really use olive oil off the
supermarket shelf or is a more pure formulation required?  and is an
intraperitoneal route preferred to subcutaneous?  I've noted labs using
both.

Thanks for any comments.

Dallas Grasby

dallas.grasby at adelaide.edu.au