problem with an ELISA

Guy Hermans guy.hermans at
Thu Jan 6 01:26:32 EST 2000

Christiane Devaux wrote:

> What did I have to change to clean my results ? I read a paper about
> dilution of plasma but I don't think it's a good idear. Is there another
> solution ???
A typical problem is the presence of rheumatoid factor in sera:
antibodies that bind the Fc of other antibodies. This crosslinks your
detecting antibody with the capture antibody, giving "Background". The
best way to avoid this is to use a F(ab)2 fragment for either capture
or detection. Yes, it's more expensive (and harder to find
commercially), but well worth it in terms of data quality.

Good luck,

Guy Hermans, PhD

Dept. of Neurology and Neurological Sciences
Beckman Institute
Stanford University, CA 94305-5429

Tel. (650) 723-6757
Fax. (650) 725-0627
e-mail guy.hermans at
"Duct tape's mystical: it's got a light side, a dark side and
it's the force that hold the universe together"        -Anon.