Ig titers--are there standards?

Tim Spahlinger txs at po.cwru.edu
Thu Jul 20 13:17:23 EST 2000

A long time ago, I did serial dilution antigen/antibody assays - particularly
for rubella.  This is about the oldest technology available for measuring the
presence of an antibody or antigen, and is useful only for determining
"positive" or "negative" for the presence of a particular antibody/antigen, and
for determining a "significant change" (i.e., four-fold change) in antibody
titer over time.  To my knowledge, there are no "conversion charts" for this
type of assay.  It is very crude and gives only "relative" results.