Histone Antibodies

Tom Thatcher ttha at mail1.ats.rochester.edu
Mon Jul 31 09:40:41 EST 2000

In article <39825A77.6834822E at wesleyan.edu>,
Daniel Ballon  <dballon at wesleyan.edu> wrote:
>Can anyone recommend a good polyclonal which recognizes all core nuclear
>histones, and has been tested in immunofluorescence?  In a perfect
>world, the immunogen would be from Tetrahymena thermophila, but human
>should be close enough.  We have tried anti-H3 from Upstate Biochemicals
>with no success, and would like a more broad-range option. Thank you,
>Daniel Ballon
>Wesleyan University

Does "all core histones" mean H3 from many species, or H2A, H2B, H3 and H4?
The sequences of the histones are so different I doubt very strongly that
any antibody could ever be developed that recognized all the core histones,
unless it was a preparation made by combining several different antibodies.
Histone antibodies are difficult to make in any case because they
are so highly conserved that you run into problems with tolerance.

Tom Thatcher
University of Rochester Cancer Center
ttha at mail.rochester.edu