TCR changes AFTER VDJ-recombination

Volker Blaschke vblasch at
Wed Mar 1 12:36:39 EST 2000

We wonder if there could be changes within the TCR sequence AFTER the
recombination has taken place. Background is that we are trying to
identify malignant cells from a lymphoma, but we do find T-cell clones
with TCR sequences pretty similar to the presumedly "malignant
So, do we have different cells indeed or might it be that these are
"subclones" of the malignant cell with ongoing TCR modifications? Would
these modifications be random, i.e. by "normal" mutagenesis, or are
post-rearrangement processes at work? Any references?