EMBL-ALIGN: New Public Alignment Database
camon at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 10 08:34:05 EST 2001
European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI)
Hinxton -JUL 10, 2001
**New Public Alignment Database and Web Submission Tool**
*EMBL-Align Database - a repository for nucleotide and protein
alignments generated from phylogenetic and
*WEBIN-Align Tool - New web based tool for Submission,
Annotation and Display of Sequence Alignment
To satisfy a growing need for the permanent electronic storage of
secondary alignment data from comparative genomics and phylogenetics,
the EMBL group are pleased to announce the launch of a new public
alignment database, 'EMBL-Align' and web based alignment submission
This new tool and database has:
* Interactive WEB BASED INTERFACE for NUCLEOTIDE and PROTEIN
* Common alignment formats are accepted including all Clustal,
NEXUS (interleaved), Phylip, FASTA and MSF via a secure UPLOAD
* A CONSERVED FLAT FILE structure between alignment data (EMBL-Align)
and primary sequence data (EMBL) facilitates consistent display,
storage and indexing of alignment data.
* DYNAMIC LINKS TO PRIMARY DATA in EMBL/DDBJ/Genbank and SWISS-PROT
* FEATURE TABLE options for nucleotide sequence alignments allow
users to define boundaries of interest.
See annotation examples:
* CURATION of EMBL-Align is performed by the same biologists
as the EMBL database.
* UNIQUE ALIGNMENT ACCESSION NUMBERS are assigned for alignments
within 2 working days pending review by EMBL biologist
* Data is downloadable as an EMBL-Align flat file or Clustal W
alignment only format.
* Alignment data can be retrieved from EBI SRS Server in a variety of
Display formats eg. JalView (Java Multiple Alignment Editor)
This database and submission tool represent a systematic and universal
method of dealing with alignment data from which conclusions
are drawn thereby requiring long term storage.
If you have any questions about the EMBL-Align database and Webin-Align
please e-mail the Webin-Align Administrators at align at ebi.ac.uk.
EMBL-Align Database team
This work was supported by EMBL and the European Commission.
Webin-Align Administrators: Evelyn Camon & Helen Parkinson
Webin-Align Developer: Vincent Lombard
More information about the Immuno