elispot variability

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Oct 3 22:21:40 EST 2001

>>>>> "dq" == diogenes quintana <diogenes.quintana at cigb.edu.cu> writes:

    dq> Dear college We frequently determine CTL activity in immunized
    dq> mice by interferon gamma ELISPOT assay. Up to now we have
    dq> worked with spleen cells. We assay CTL activity in individual
    dq> mice. Now, working with some particular immunogens (e.i,
    dq> recombinant viruses, via i.p) we have noted much variability
    dq> between mice tested of same group. The variability could be as
    dq> follow: 453 spots per 10(6) cells, 1786 x10 (6), and 8452 x10
    dq> (6), in three mice tested. Working with naked DNA this have
    dq> not occurred yet. All this difficult too much any comparison.

    dq> We ask for somebody else with ELISPOT experience:

    dq> How many individual mice are recommended to tested in ELISPOT
    dq> assay?  If you use statistics to compare between groups? What
    dq> statistic method do you use?  Any Recommendation or help will
    dq> be accepted.

You might check out the AIDS Vaccine 2001 WWW site (I can't recall
where it is, but google should help).  Michael Hudgens was the lead
author on a nice poster regarding data analysis for ELISPOT assays,
from our stat group.  This was for HIV vaccines, but should be

A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------- (wednesday/friday is unknown) --------
FHCRC: M-Tu : 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:    Th   : 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX