how does the body tell an exogeneous peptides from endogeneous peptides

chenhong chz155 at mail.usask.ca
Fri Aug 23 11:37:44 EST 2002

Hi all,

I have a basic immunology question to consult: how does the body tell
exogeneous peptides from endogeneous peptides.

I am guessing endogeneous peptides go through some modification
process after they are synthesized. But if people know the structure
and composition of an endogeneous peptide, then we can synthesize
exactly such a peptide in vitro. Then how does the immune system tell
where does this peptide come from. My second guess (wild) will be that
the cell knows this by recalling if this peptide is swallowed or
produced by itself.

As you can see, I need more professional people to help me out here.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Chenhong