Nude mouse and lymphocytes.

Kenneth A Frauwirth kfrauwir at
Fri Jul 12 10:24:25 EST 2002

On 11 Jul 2002 03:53:07 -0700, Gary <cool_and_funky at> wrote:
>Does anyone have any idea how the nude mouse compares in terms of the
>number of lymphocytes one would expect to see in its blood? I'm aware
>that the nude mouse is for all intents and purposes athymic, meaning
>that there is a lack of immunologically mature lymphocytes and a loss
>of ability to recognise non-self cells, but does this mean that there
>would actually be a decreased overall number of lymphocytes in the
>bloodstream, or would there be an equivalent number of cells (compared
>to a immunocompetent mouse) but these cells would be effectively
>unable to elicit an immune response?

Although there is a small amount of extra-thymic T cell development in
older nude mice, younger mice have almost no peripheral T cells (B cell
and NK cell development is not affected, however).  This makes nude mice
severely lymphopenic (they are used as adoptive transfer recipients to
look at T cell homeostatic proliferation for just this reason).

Ken Frauwirth

Ken Frauwirth  (MiSTie #33025)   kfrauwir at
Abramson Cancer Research Institute
University of Pennsylvania
"Science in those days worked in broad strokes.  They got right to the
point.  Nowadays it's just molecule, molecule, molecule."
                                                     The Tick