Storing antibodies

Stacy Ferguson stacy at localhost.UUCP
Wed Jun 12 20:29:10 EST 2002

Elzi,

For the TC supernatant and ascities, I'd just aliquot into polycarbonate
tubes or microfuge tubes. The TC supernatant titers are likely low but
there's so much serum there that it'll compete so well for coating the
walls of the tubes that it's unlikely that there's be a noticable drop
in titer. The ascites, assuming it hasn't been cut yet, also has a
lot of extraneous protein in it and since the titer there should be
reasonably high, you're not going to lose a large percentage.

For purified Ab, this would be a judgement call based on concentration
and how clean you need it for your purposes. If it's very low concentration,
you'll likely lose a high percentage of it. If it's higher, it's not
as big an issue. If you're concerned about it, you could pre-coat your
tubes with another protein that is unlikely to be a problem in further
uses of the antibody. If you're going to use it in ELISA assays unlabeled,
you could, for example, coat the tubes with BSA or whatever you're using
as a blocking agent for those assays. For indirect use in flow cytometry,
you could coat the tubes with dilute serum or what you usually use in
your staining buffers, etc.

Stacy
p.s. I've been reading your weight training stuff for years and I count
on it to figure out how to tweak things when I hit a weight plateau in
a lift. So thanks!