Boycott costly journals?

Donald Forsdyke forsdyke at post.queensu.ca
Thu Nov 27 08:43:22 EST 2003

The following is reproduced from an evolutionary biology discussion group:
DRF Discussion Leader Bionet.journals.note
Dear all

>  Second, I encourage you to consider publishing in journals that are
>  marketed in such a way that they *are* affordable.

An additional means has been discussed at the Bonn University.
We know that discontinuing the receipt of those high priced
journals is not a way to force lower fees, because you exclude
yourself from the information. Thus, another way discussed
was not to act as referee for such journals/publishers.
Whether this is really a feasible way, I don't know.
But nevertheless I wanted to add this point for discussion.

Best wishes,
Heiko Schmidt

Heiko Schmidt
von-Neumann Institut fuer Computing  Tel.:
Forschungsgruppe Bioinformatik       Fax.:
FZ Juelich                           Email: he.schmidt(AT)fz-juelich.de
D-52425 Juelich                      Web:   http://www.fz-juelich.de/nic/

Associated member of:
Institut fuer Bioinformatik          Tel.: 0211 / 81 - 11 914
HHU Duesseldorf                      Fax.: 0211 / 81 - 15 767
Universitaetsstr. 1, Geb. 25.02.02   Email:
hschmidt(AT)cs.uni-duesseldorf.de
40225 Duesseldorf                    Web:
http://www.cs.uni-duesseldorf.de/

Heiko Schmidt <hschmidt at molgen.mpg.de>