[Immunology] Question: particulate or soluble antigenic structures

Resul Karakus resul_karakus at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 01:07:43 EST 2006

Dear Users,

I would like to know what the main point is, that
makes an antigen soluble or particulate (is there any
point beyond the hydrophobicity or ionic loads
existing on the molecule).
In particular, does anyone know if the HBV surface
antigen (HBsAg) "ad" and/or "ay" subtypes are
particulate or soluble?
The second question is: if any water soluble molecule
is mixed and given with an adjuvant (eg, Freund's),
does this molecule still hold its soluble structure or
should it be regarded as particulate then?

Thanks all in advance,

Resul Karakus
PhD Student Immunology