[Immunology] why veronal?

Clive Tregaskes via immuno%40net.bio.net (by spamcollector from tragoc.f2s.com)
Wed Nov 1 12:56:41 EST 2006

Hi all,
Can anyone explain the use of veronal in haemolytic complement assays?
(particularly alternate pathway assays).  I'm guessing it in some way
stabilises the rbcs- reducing background lysis, but this is very much a
Problem is I'll need a Home Office licence to get some veronal ordered and
it seems like quite a bit of effort for what (I suspect) may be just one
Nybody tried to do this sort of assay without adding veronal, maybe on nice
fresh erythrocytes or something similar.

all contributions gratefully received