Author's Rights

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Tue Dec 22 11:31:03 EST 1992

kristoff at net.bio.net (David Kristofferson) writes:

>I found it interesting when looking for academic jobs a long time back
>that faculty I spoke to at some small schools felt that reviewers were
>excessively critical of their work versus papers that originated from
>"name" schools.  Of course, there may be other reasons (as I am sure
>scientists from name schools might quickly reply), but I was wondering
>whether or not any journals ever review papers either completely blind
>(no mention of the authors' identity and affiliation) or partially
>blind (e.g., no mention of the affiliation)?  This might be an
>interesting experiment?!?

I probably shot this one off too quickly as I realized a few seconds
after sending that most authors' propensity to reference their own
past work far more than that of others would make blind reviewing
rather difficult unless one were to gut the paper of such references
which would not be practical in most cases.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				kristoff at net.bio.net