Multiple simultaneous submissions to journals

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Fri Dec 10 03:20:14 EST 1993

In article <93343.162320FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, <FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA> writes:
|> brings it to mind again. 6 months ago I submitted a paper to a Canadian
|> non-scientific journal. It was quite non-technical, about 12 pages in
|> length, and could be read in 30 minutes or less. Recently it was returned
|> rejected. There were no apologies for the delay and the Editor's summary
|> of the reviewers' comments was uninformative.

Be lucky that you _got_ this reply. I submitted a paper to a journal
which was launched only recently, and I received a CC'ed peer review
which was excellent. Now as the secretary already dated me an issue
where the paper would appear, I was hoping that there were no further
complaints. About three months later I still didn't receive the
proofs or suggestions for the finished to be printed paper.

As I inquired, I learned that the secretary was working elsewhere
in the meantime, and that the Chief Editor has orally received
another comment which made him think that it were better not to
publish the paper. The Editor didn't think that it was needed to
inform me, neither oficcialy suggest what else should be done. The whole
procedure lasted four months.

Happened in 1993, in Europe. The Editor is working on behalf of a large
organisation in Europe.

--
|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at urz.unibas.ch         |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+
                     ftp mirror at nic.switch.ch