sequences

J.DYER at ELSEVIER.nl J.DYER at ELSEVIER.nl
Fri Feb 12 06:47:28 EST 1993

Don Forsdyke writes;
>  There are many sequence entries in GenBank which have not been published in
>the paper literature. This may be because the originator of the data did not
>write a paper, or because he/she could not find a journal to accept it. Some
>journals will not accept a sequence which is not backed up by experimental
>evidence on promoter sites, etc. At least two journals appear more
enlightened.
>Their attitude can be summer up in the words of one of the Editors, Bart
>Barrell:
>        "I detect an ignorance of how much inforamtion there may be in a DNA
>         sequence and possibly prejudice against DNA sequencing as being some
>         kind of unintellectual pursuit. Sequencing can be a long and onerous
>         task but the end result of a carefully determined and carefully
>         analysed sequence can be a wealth of new information and insight."

It is commonly recognized that DNA sequences *contain* a wealth of information.
However, before a journal publishes a sequence, it may decide that such
information should be *revealed* by more in depth studies. A DNA sequence alone
is not necessarily very interesting, however onerous the task of sequencing may
be, and the further study may be considered an added value to the journal's
readers, particularly if they are multidisciplinary.

To expand the list of journals which do publish DNA sequences, note that BBA's
Gene Structure and Expression section includes "Short Sequence-papers". These
can contain complete sequences coding for a protein, sequence information on
structural RNAs and their genes, and DNA sequences coding for regulatory
elements, e.g. a promoter.

BBA does request of its authors that the paper contains more information than
the sequence data alone, such as an analysis of the sequence's unique role or
that of its product.

Papers in this category should be submitted to BBA's Amsterdam receiving center
and there are given accelerated handling - regular papers which deal with
sequences are handled by any of our receiving centers.

Joke Zwetsloot, Editorial Associate, BBA

p.s.

Sanford Silverman notes
>I believe Nucleic Acids Research will also publish pure sequence papers.

We thought NAR did not publish pure sequences any longer, a sequence only
being accepted when the information hidden in the sequence has been uncovered.
Perhaps one of its editors could enlighten us.

posted via;
John Dyer,  Editorial Manager                    j.dyer at elsevier.nl
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta                       bba at elsevier.nl
          tel: +31 (20) 580 3510  fax: +31 (20) 580 3506