In defense of PNAS

John Lazzaro lazzaro at boom.CS.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jan 5 13:46:48 EST 1993

> (Marc R. Roussel) writes:

>[..] but isn't the title of this particular periodical (PROCEEDINGS of
>the NAS) a warning that this is not a regular journal?  [ ..]

> (Keith Robison) writes:
>Just a reminder of what PNAS stands for:
>	Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
>     It is rather silly to tell any organization how to run their (bi-)monthly
>newsletter. [..]  It's their right to operate in such an idiosyncratic manner if
>they so choose.

Exactly, there is freedom of the press in this country, and it extends
to scientific journals. My points have nothing to do with the
proported political nature of PNAS. I am simply protesting an attempt
to place restrictions on the freedom to publish. If people don't like
PNAS or any other publication, don't read it, petition your library to
unsuscribe, petition you colleagues to submit elsewhere, but don't try
to enforce rules and regulations on publishers and editors.