Is PNAS a special case?

Thu Jan 7 16:33:39 EST 1993

======================================================================== 32

In article <robison1.726250071 at>, robison1 at
(Keith Robison) says:
>     It is rather silly to tell any organization how to run their (bi-)monthly

Forsdyke: No one is trying to do that. The issue is whether PNAS is a special
          case to be regarded as an exception even though it appears to
          violate Article 1 of a proposed Charter of Authors' Rights.

>     Would PNAS be a better journal if it quit being the P of the NAS?
>Undoubtedly, since a great amount of junk and crockery gets published there.
>But it's their right to operate in such an idiosyncratic manner if
>they so choose.
      A charter of Editors' Rights might postulate the right to operate
      idiosyncratically. Here there would be a conflict between Author's
      Rights and Editor's rights! Note that the FIRST "proceedings", the
      Proceedings of the Royal Society, which began in the 17th century, does
      not, I believe, demonstrate this idiosyncrasy.
                                                    Don Forsdyke