quotation of database entries, software etc.

Don Gilbert gilbertd at chipmunk.bio.indiana.edu
Tue Jan 19 13:29:56 EST 1993

>I am not sure if you can search for either Message id or date and time
>by Gopher, so it seems rather tedious to dig out an old article...

You CAN search for the Usenet message ID of any bionet news article
thru Gopher to the IUBio news archive.  You will not only get the original
message, but all entries which reference that message (i.e., all follow ups).

Here is an example (use quote marks for a literal search):

     Bionet News at IUBio archive: '92231.161618FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA'

      1.  shiv at tsp.m Re: Re: Journal Watch: MHC and intracellular self.
      2.  <FORSDYKE@ Re: Re: Journal Watch: MHC and intracellular self.
      3.  <FORSDYKE@ Re: Re: Journal Watch: MHC and intracellular self.
      4.  shiv at scrap Re: Re: Journal Watch: MHC and intracellular self.
      5.  <FORSDYKE@ Re: Re: Journal Watch: MHC and intracellular self.
 -->  6.  <FORSDYKE@ Re: Journal watch: MHC and intracellular self.
      7.  kristoff at g Re: Re: Journal Watch: MHC and intracellular self.

The arrow is pointing at the original note.

My suggestion is to use the Usenet generated message ID as a reference
when possible.  Before I post this note, I don't know its message ID,
but I can later read the note or go to the news archive to find this ID.
Any message that originates from an e-mail post will go through some
mail to usenet gateway (at least at net.bio.net) and then will have a
usenet message ID appended.  While many message IDs include date and e-mail
address of the author, not all do.

The news software I use (rn) automatically includes the reference ID's of
other messages which this one refers to.  These are References:
<93018.121123FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA>>
<BASHFORD.93Jan18143533 at zippy.scripps.edu>
<zxmkr08.727461743 at studserv>

-- Don

Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu