More on non-barking editors

Tom Schneider toms at fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Jun 17 15:03:47 EST 1993

In article <1vovjeINNn2f at news.u.washington.edu>
dfitts at carson.u.washington.edu (Douglas Fitts) writes:

>As someone who has just had a delightful article refused by _Science_
>*prior* to any peer review, I have decided to quit my long-time membership
>in AAAS.  I received no rationale for rejection.

Bravo for you!  The same thing has happened to me.  Science is slipping as a
major journal because they are no longer using peer review.  Many people I know
read it out of loyalty, not because it is chock full of the best papers.  Their
editors, who can't possibly know what they are dealing with when it's outside
their fields, make decisions that are not based on the science.  I'm beginning
to consider not submitting anything to them anymore.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201