Re. Can journals monopolize science?

Tom Schneider toms at
Fri May 28 11:52:21 EST 1993

In article <9305280143.AA09892 at>

>It is very sad to hear that someone was banned from publishing in
>many journals simply because he tried to send manuscript to two
>journals at a time.

Journals state that double submission is not allowed, so as far as I am
concerned this person got exactly what they deserved.

The part of your analogy to other systems that I don't agree with is the effort
that a reviewer has to put into reviewing a paper.  I spend a long time making
sure that I know exactly what the author is attempting and being fair.  I do
not like the idea of being pressured in a race between the journal I'm doing
this for and other journals.  There is already too much junk out there in the
literature that was not carefully reviewed.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201