Journal Prices: Citing electronic media

Marc Roussel mroussel at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 21 12:25:47 EST 1994

In article <94052.093857FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA> <FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA>
writes:
>In article <1994Feb20.182420.8662 at msus1.msus.edu>,
>q00001 at TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU says:
>>I agree that the use of the e-medium to transmit information is very
>>under-utilized.  I do have a concern that the quality of information may be
>>overrun by the quantity if e-medium cites were allowed.
>
>    Now is that really true? Material of low quality simply would not be cited.
>As I understand it there would not be a "quantity" problem. The enormous mount
>of material can be readily archived and if no one wants to look at it, so be
>it! The quality evaluation would be something carried out retrospectively, by
>those who chose to cite the work.

     However, if the archives are full of junk, how do you identify the
good material?  Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that
reputation would come to play an even greater role than it does now in
scientific publishing.  Think about it:  You're faced with a mountain of
electronic publications of dubious quality.  X is a well-known,
well-respected researcher so it's tempting to go out looking for his or
her stuff, ignoring all the rest.
     Just archiving submitted papers without passing it through even the
weakest of refereeing screens is a bad idea.  In order to be useful, an
electronic journal has to function like a paper one:  It has to referee
its submissions and it has to organize and index papers accepted for
publication.

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca