Journal Prices: Citing electronic media

FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Tue Feb 22 09:28:29 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb21.172547.28638 at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca>,
mroussel at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) says:

>>    Now is that really true? Material of low quality simply would not be     .
>cited
>>As I understand it there would not be a "quantity" problem. The enormous
>mount
>>of material can be readily archived and if no one wants to look at it, so be
>>it! The quality evaluation would be something carried out RETROSPECTIVELY, by
>>those who chose to cite the work.
>
>     However, if the archives are full of junk, how do you identify the
>good material?

      Good material often gets lost in the paper media (e.g. Mendel). I
personally would prefer to be given the opportunity to smell out today's
Mendals for myself, rather than have some peers CENSOR what I can have ACCESS
to.

>                Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that
>reputation would come to play an even greater role than it does now in
>scientific publishing.  Think about it:  You're faced with a mountain of
>electronic publications of dubious quality.  X is a well-known,
>well-respected researcher so it's tempting to go out looking for his or
>her stuff, ignoring all the rest.

       Yes, reputation and location would be factors which would influence one
in deciding which papers to look at. Another factor would be citations. I
would scan the email literature for new papers which cited key papers in the
fields of interest. Co-citation indexing would be very useful. If an author
knows the key authors in a field, chances are that he/she knows something about
the field, so the paper might be worth looking at. This could be much quicker
than when hunting through paper journals in the library.

>     Just archiving submitted papers without passing it through even the
>weakest of refereeing screens is a bad idea.  In order to be useful, an
>electronic journal has to function like a paper one:  It has to referee
>its submissions and it has to organize and index papers accepted for
>publication.

              Automatic indexing, keywords located in title, keywords located
              in text, keywords in list of references, should be pretty easy
              to set up.  Sorry, I am not too convinced by your arguments
              to date.

                      Sincerely, Don Forsdyke