Multiple simultaneous submissions to journals

Roy rrg at aber.ac.uk
Thu Jan 6 04:32:40 EST 1994

In article <CJ3xvJ.JzK at mentor.cc.purdue.edu> muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu (Peter M. Muriana) writes:

>How about journals charging $75.00 simply for submission of articles. This
>fee would provide for payment of a stipend for reviewers ($25.00 each)
>**if they can return manuscripts in the required time.**  The fee may
>discourage sloppy submissions and provide a stipend for responsive
>reviewers who often get little or no recognition for their efforts.??!!
>Just a thought. Regards, Peter

Personally, I find having to pay any money (apart from postage) to get
an article into print deplorable.  It is bad enough that some journals
insist on page charges (I do not submit manuscripts to these) without
us having to pay their administrative costs as well!!!

Surely the answer is to have senior editors who hound reviewers for
their comments - if the reviewers are too slow the senior editor
should remove that person from his reviewing panel.

I think multiple simultaneous submissions to be a bad idea.
All it will do is overload the reviewing  process and so slow
it down.
  ____
 | ()  )  ___  ( )  (  )   Institute of Biological Sciences,
 |    /  /   \  \ \_/ /    University of Wales, ABERYSTWYTH,
 | |\ \ (  O  )  \   /     Dyfed SY23 3DA, UK.
 |_|  \_\    ( )_/ /  _    Tel: 0970 623111 ext 4187
rrg at aber.ac.uk\___/  (_)   Telefax: 0970 622350