Multiple simultaneous submissions

100012.1163 at compuserve.com Rainer Stumpe 100012.1163 at CompuServe.COM
Thu Jan 6 21:57:02 EST 1994

To:   >internet:bionews at net.bio.net

Dear Fellow Netters,

>Wow! Big deal! A "very strong letter"!! Were copies of the
>letter sent to the authors Head of Department-Dean-
>Principal? Were copies of the letter sent to the Office of
>Scientific Integrity  at the NIH (in the case of a US
>author)?

Yes, he was an US scientist; no, we did not go public (Dean,
NIH).

>Let us say that one submits to 3-4 journals. Two of them
>accept it. One then can withdraw the paper from one journal
>(perhaps the less prestigeous), so there is no literature
>overload.

True, it would work that way. Unless there is a real fast
journal and the contribution is "in press" before the mail
reaches the publisher (in international publishing, the speed
of mail often is the delimiting factor).

*But*: progress in the sciences depends on a "publishing
culture". Publishing became important, because researchers
defined scientific experiments as "repeatable at any time and
at any place with identical results". To prove this,
experiments and their results must be made available to
everyone in a publication. I think, many of the problems
nowadays discussed arrise from the fact, that a scientist's
carrer depends on the *number* of publications and there is no
absolute measure for the *quality*. Number of citations,
prestige of the journal are only relative criteria and they can
be influenced, too.

I think scientists - and their peers - should develop a code of
ethics. After all, I wonder why many researchers write multiple
papers on a single subject, with only minor changes, just to
satisfy questionable criteria set by administrators in the
funding organizations.

[I am glad that Don Forsdyke does not intend to engage in
multiple submissions. Nobody should.]

Yours Sincerely,
Dr. Rainer Stumpe
Chemistry Editorial