Multiple submissions OK if intent OK

Marc Roussel mroussel at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca
Sat Jan 8 17:24:03 EST 1994

In article <94008.150249FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA> <FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA>
writes:
>    The prevailing view, as far as I am aware, is that making multiple
>    simultaneous submissions is unethical. My posting implies that this
>    should really depend on the INTENT of the author.

     How are we, as a community, to determine the intent of someone
cheating (there's no other word for it) in this way?

>If he/she is really just
>    trying to get a paper published expeditiously, then I do not think the ORI
>    should be concerned.

     Most journals have mechanisms for accelerating publication of
unusually important results.  Some journals even exist for the sole
purpose of getting important results to press rapidly.  That's the
proper mechanism for getting a paper in print quickly and importance is
the only reason one should ever try to push a paper through the
pipeline.

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca