Multiple submissions OK if intent OK

Marc Roussel mroussel at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 10 20:41:02 EST 1994

In article <94010.171721FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA> <FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA>
writes:
>      You may have missed the earlier correspondence on this matter.
>      The purpose of the rapid publication was to make sure that one's work
>      was published/accepted prior to some critical grant or tenure-decision
>      deadline. In these days of rising cut-off points one paper more might
>      make all the difference between success or failure. One laggardly
>      reviewer could disasterously influence an author's career. There are
>      numerous ways this could be corrected, but I, for one, would not think
>      badly about someone who makes multiple submissions pending general system
>      reform.

     I didn't miss the earlier postings.  I just think that it's a bad
idea to make the whole edifice of science (of which the peer-reviewed
journals are an important part) hostage to bureaucratic ineptitude.  There
is no doubt that many tenure and promotion decisions are made on the
basis of simple publication counts.  We won't fix that by letting people
jump publication queues when the work itself does not warrant it.

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca