Multiple submissions OK if intent OK

FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Wed Jan 12 16:15:10 EST 1994

>In article <94008.150249FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA> <FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA>
>writes:
>>    The prevailing view, as far as I am aware, is that making multiple
>>    simultaneous submissions is unethical. My posting implies that this
>>    should really depend on the INTENT of the author.

Marc Roussel replies:

>     How are we, as a community, to determine the intent of someone
>cheating (there's no other word for it) in this way?

Forsdyke replies:

      Most journals in their instructions to authors stipulate that the
submission of a paper implies that the paper is not simultaneously under
consideration for publication elsewhere in the same, or similar, form. To that
extent Roussel is correct to describe multiple submission as "cheating".
Why do journals make that stipulation? Presumably because they want to spare
themselves and their reviewers a burden of work which would not be productive
if the paper were subsequently withdrawn. But if journal editors only send
"strongly worded" letters to authors who cheat in this way, they cannot be
overly concerned about the "cheating". On the other hand, much may be at stake
for the author, as described in previous postings.