Multiple submissions OK if intent OK

FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Fri Jan 14 17:59:11 EST 1994

In article <2h5bej$lav at news.u.washington.edu>, dfitts at u.washington.edu (Douglas
Fitts) says:

>The solution to the problem of grant and promotion deadlines is to publish
>enough articles in the intervening years so that the last six months before
>our deadline does not come down to a fight about a laggardly reviewer or
>whether a journal will object to our submitting multiple copies of the
>same manuscript.
>
>The answer to this is:  don't submit the same manuscript to lots of
>journals, submit *different* manuscripts to lots of journals!!!
>
>If we can't manage this, what are we whining about?

        Unfortunately, the Grant Agencies have responded to cut-backs by
        raising cut-off points(below which no funds are given), to such high
        levels that even those who submit lots of DIFFERENT manuscripts to
        LOTS of journals (which then accept them), do NOT get funded!!

        The solution is to reform the Grant system, perhaps along the lines
        I have suggested elsewhere (e.g. see Accountability in Research, Vol 2,
        p. 237. 1993).

                          Sincerely,  Don Forsdyke, Discussion Leader,
                                                    Bionet.journal.note