Editorial integrity: Date of Receipt?

Marc Roussel mroussel at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 23 23:16:43 EST 1994

In article <9405237724.AA772406487 at clink.acad.com> kmetzner at ACAD.COM
(Metzner, Ken) writes:
[Quoting me, Marc Roussel]
>In chemistry, physics and
>mathematics, the best journals are generally those published by professional
>societies.
>
>         Concerning Marc Roussel's comment about the best journals, it might be
>          interesting to discuss what are the criteria for goodness of a
>          journal? How do they rank? Are the criteria and their rankings
>         different for different communities of journal users? How do you apply
>          the criteria to compare actual real journals?

     When I wrote the above-quoted comment, I was thinking of the great
families of journals put out by the American Chemical Society, the
American Physical Society and the American Mathematical Society.  I know
a little less about the AMS journals, but the ACS and APS journals cover
all the major subfields and are generally well-read and well-cited.
They are also generally editorially very responsive.  There are certainly
individual journals published by corporations which I would rank equally
highly (and professional-society journals which I consider poor) but
considering each stable of products as a whole, I think the
professional-society journals are usually better, from all perspectives.
     In short, I suppose that there are two principal evaluation
criteria, at least for me:

	  1. Editorial responsiveness:  Refereeing process is generally
	     quick and inquiries are promptly addressed.
          2. Is my audience likely to read my work there?  If no one
	     reads a particular journal, I'm likely to avoid it.

Note that I write here of evaluation for the purpose of submission, not
for the purpose of reading or buying.  Those are separate issues.

                                Sincerely,

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca